- RSS Channel Showcase 9151218
- RSS Channel Showcase 5186920
- RSS Channel Showcase 4274211
- RSS Channel Showcase 6221611
Articles on this Page
- 04/27/17--08:55: _In Tribute: Vinod K...
- 05/02/17--20:33: _Mera Gaon Mera Desh...
- 05/09/17--06:46: _Lucky Star (1929)
- 05/18/17--08:27: _Hanyo (1960)
- 05/23/17--06:49: _Homes and Houses: T...
- 05/30/17--08:15: _Ek Phool Chaar Kaan...
- 06/06/17--23:09: _Ten Thousand Bedroo...
- 06/12/17--09:03: _Baadal (1966)
- 06/17/17--23:16: _The Outrage (1964)
- 06/23/17--08:47: _Doctor, Doctor: Ten...
- 04/27/17--08:55: In Tribute: Vinod Khanna (1946-2017)
- 05/02/17--20:33: Mera Gaon Mera Desh (1971)
- 05/09/17--06:46: Lucky Star (1929)
- 05/18/17--08:27: Hanyo (1960)
- 05/23/17--06:49: Homes and Houses: Ten songs
- 05/30/17--08:15: Ek Phool Chaar Kaante (1960)
- 06/06/17--23:09: Ten Thousand Bedrooms (1957)
- 06/12/17--09:03: Baadal (1966)
- 06/17/17--23:16: The Outrage (1964)
- 06/23/17--08:47: Doctor, Doctor: Ten songs about medical problems
This post may come as a surprise to those who are familiar with my blog, and with its chronological area of interest: Vinod Khanna, after all, debuted in a film that released in 1969, and this blog focuses on cinema … Continue reading
This blog focuses almost exclusively on films from before the 1970s. Very occasionally, though, I make exceptions. For films that are pretty much on the cusp, and which evoke more a sense of 60s cinema than 70s, which were made … Continue reading
dustedoffVinod Khanna, Asha Parekh and Dharmendra in Mera Gaon Mera DeshAjit pleads his case in courtAjit and the jailor - and a decision to be madeAjit meets Jaswant SinghMausi comes, claiming Ajit as her sonAjit finds some drinking partnersAjit and Anju fall in loveJabbar Singh comes callingAjit and Jaswant Singh, and the scared villagersJabbar Singh plotsMunni Bai goes off to find out more about AjitJabbar SinghPurnima and Dharmendra in a scene from Mera Gaon Mera DeshVinod Khanna and Laxmi Chhaya in a scene from the filmVinod Khanna and Laxmi Chhaya in Mera Gaon Mera DeshSanjeev Kumar in SholayAmjad Khan as Gabbar Singh
Lucky Star is a movie of moments. A moment when a man, washing down the head of a young girl who’s grubby as can be, happens to ask her how old she is, and realizes, with a start of embarrassment, … Continue reading
Which, in English, is translated as The Housemaid, though it would perhaps have been more aptly titled Rats! I Got Me a New House. Not just because the catastrophe that swiftly unfurls in this film has its roots in the … Continue reading
dustedoffThe pregnant wife, the chaebol, and the housemaid
Some context, first, for this post. I had recently been on a hiatus for a while because I shifted home. I’ve lived in Delhi for 32 years now, and for various reasons, my husband and I realized it would make … Continue reading
Sunil Dutt and Waheeda Rehman. The two names themselves conjure up a mix of everything from Pyaasa to Mother India, from Gumraah to Kaagaz ke Phool. Sunil Dutt, whom I tend to associate either with suspense films (Humraaz, Mera Saaya) … Continue reading
A hundred years, ago, on June 7, 1917, in Ohio was born Dino Paul Crocetti, the son of an Italian immigrant and his wife, also of Italian origin. Dino spoke nothing but Italian until he was five years old—and didn’t … Continue reading
The Three Musketeers meets Hamlet meets Azaad meets general swashbuckling mayhem. I will admit I watched this film mainly for two reasons: for Sanjeev Kumar, who is deliciously handsome in his early roles; and for the song Nain bedaardi chhalia … Continue reading
Rashōmon, set in the Wild West. I hadn’t heard about this film, let alone seen it, till a few weeks back, when blog reader Hurdy Gurdy Man, commenting on my review of Rashōmon, mentioned it. Rashōmon—and the Rashōmon Effect—fascinates me, … Continue reading
It’s often struck me that there are a number of Hindi film songs that could well be interpreted to refer to medical problems. The omnipresent theme of romantic love in itself has enough substance for everything from insomnia to palpitations … Continue reading